Monday, September 20, 2010

Essay for Project 1

     For project number 1, we created a grayscale typographical design using the words: emphasis, contrast, balance, alignment, flow, and repetition.  In designing these words, we made them mean in our design like how they are said.  With emphasis, I used the concept of rule of thirds to make it the focal point.  I put the E in the bottom left corner and angling the word to the top right to give it meaning.  I believe by doing this, this will attract the viewers’ eyes to this spot.  The second word I tried to have the readers eyes flow to from the first word.  I tried to create the word balance as if it was balancing off the end of the word emphasis and having it perfectly aligned.  The next word the reader should go to is contrast.  I created it using different shades of black to give it the most meaning possible.  After that was flow.  Flow was my one hand rendered word and it means exactly like it is drawn.  I have an arc in it to let the readers eyes flow on to the next word that is repetition.  I created this word off the end of the E in emphasis and have it almost touching along with it decreasing in font size.  While decreasing in font size I kept the word repeating to give it’s true value.  Last but not least is alignment.  I created this word at an angle to give it another angle when looking at my design.  Along with designing all of the words, I also was able to achieve in designing the words with great value between used up spaces and not used.

No comments:

Post a Comment